Benefits of a Barcode Check In & Check Out
Barcode check-in/check-out solution is the ultimate scanning and tracking technology that can be used to protect your company’s most valuable assets. The system can be used to record and track the specific time different items were borrowed, returned, and taken by whom. As a result, visitor management, rental applications, file management, and tool tracking systems can all take advantage of this enhanced accountability, process flow and security. To understand this better, let’s look at what is barcode check-in/check-out solution in detail, its components and key benefits:
What is a Barcode Check-In/Check-Out Solution?
A check-in/check-out solution is an ‘Asset Tracking Solution’ which focuses on ‘circulatory’ assets, like library items, rental items, files and folders, and tools. These solutions enable business owners or managers to gain info on who has the item and when it is due back. As a result, any applications or platform that has continually changing ‘ownership’ of assets can utilize this solution to benefit from increased visibility of the company’s assets.
Combined with a visitor management system, this solution can also target and track a large number of assets or detect unmanned or unauthorized entries, hence enhancing overall security of your organization. How is that possible? Well, the barcode technology doesn’t necessarily have to be used for scanning items. It can also be used to generate unique identifiers that print on a pass/badge, hence enabling a visitor or contractor to re-enter or exit a facility while tracking their identity constantly.
The Components of a Check-In/Check-Out System
A normal check-in/check-out system typically consists of a combination of four components:
- Barcode Printer – As all the items in a company need a ‘unique’ identifier or stamp in order for them to be tracked properly, a barcode printer is used to provide each item an ID.
- Mobile Computer – For assets located in different locations, the solution uses a ‘mobile’ computer to run the tracking application and conduct the check-in/check-out process to gain vital information regarding borrowing, returning, and taking the item.
- Barcode Scanner – Where there is a barcode printer, there must also be scanner to track and examine different barcodes with unique IDs. As a result, the tracking software used is a basic barcode scanner which scans the barcode and completes the check-in/check-out process.
- Check-In/Check-Out Software – A system without software is like a horse without a head. Useless. State-of-the-art software is used by the system to provide details reporting with regards to barcode scanning, real-time updates, and supports batch processing.
Benefits of a Check-In/Check-Out System in Relation to Visitor Management
Apart from giving you control over the use of your assets and minimizing the costs and times related to stolen or lost items, a check-In/check-out system provides a number of cost-saving and visitor management benefits. These include:
- Access Control – Barcodes can be used to open gates or doors at unmanned or manned entries. Authorized visitors can use their pass for re-entry into the facility.
- Improved Security – Security personnel can track who is on the property at all times.
- Simple Process – Security personnel can easily create the pass/badge which also logs their first and last visit.
- Revenue Management – Each time a visitor checks in, an access fee can be applied to their account, making it easier to determine when the visitor/worker takes breaks. This can then be used in monthly salary reports, hence allowing efficient revenue management.
Do you want to receive these above mentioned benefits and make your organization more efficient, side-by-side increasing the efficiency of your visitor management system? If so, perhaps it’s time you invest in a check-in/check-out solution.